Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Jönköping Södra 0-2 Hammarby June 22nd 2011









This was the first match of my holiday in Scandinavia. I decided to make this game my first match because having arrived in Sweden on the previous Sunday I had missed the bulk of the round of games taking place that weekend. I took a peek through the fixtures and saw that Hammarby were visiting Jonkoping. Jonkoping also had a friend of mine on their book, Robert Walker is an Irish-Swedish footballer currently plying his trade in Jonkoping after spells with Orebro and Atvidaberg.























This game was also the third time I was going to see Hammarby. On the two previous occasions, Hammarby remained unbeaten. The first game was when Hammarby visited Cork for an InterToto Cup game in Turners Cross back in 2007 and on that ocassion it finished 0-0. The 2nd occasion was in 2008, in my first ever match in Sweden when they came away from Orebro with a 1-1 draw.


This game was an 18:00 kick-off and I arrived early into town from a bus line that took me from Orebro to Jonkoping via Mariestad. Half an hour it took me to find my hotel, The Grand Hotel and as soon as I checked in I made my way to the Stadsparkvallen. The stadium was overlooking the city and the base of the great lake Vattern. Atmosphere was building as more and more fans turned up. I purchased my tickets and entered the ground. I was seated quiet close to the visiting Bajen fans.



The game started with a good tempo with some slick passing. This high tempo though would lead to mistakes and the first mistake in the Jonkoping Sodra backline exposed J-Sodra's IVo Vasgez, who was left helpless trying to stop Christer Gustafsson's low shot into the bottom corner. That gave Hammarby an early lead which they ooked confident in holding onto. The first half would have its fair share of chances with Hammarby coming close on a couple of occasions. J-Sodra did have some good chances with Robert Walker and Tommy Thelin both going close. Walker also had an altercation with the Hammarby backline in going for a 50-50 which referee Matias Nyman.











The 2nd half had its fair share of excitment with some neat football being played by J-Sodra. Hammarby though did have the quality to fashion out chances almost at will. The impressive Sinan Ayranci was always a treat to the backline of J-Sodra. Robert Walker started as a right winger but drifted into attack to help lone-striker Branimir Hrgota but he went over awkwardly on his ankle just after the hour-mark and was forced off. With his departure J-Sodra's Hrgota became more isolated up front which didnt help and the game swung back into Hammarby's favour. Sinan Ayranci was hauled down with six minutes to play in the box and Nyman awarded a spot kick right in front of the visting vocal support. Fadi Malke stepped up and converted past Vasgez to the delight of the Hammarby faithful. The game was up for J-Sodra and the three points were heading back to Southern Stockholm.


After the game I caught up with Robert Walker for a chat as usual. For someone born and bred in Sweden his accent would remind you so much of a person from the midlands back in Ireland. Nonetheless he was disappointed in the result which was understandable.




After about ten to fifteen minutes chat I departed back to the hotel.



















No comments:

Post a Comment